Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What I Did Over Winter Break

Eric and I packed up the kids and headed south over our mid-winter break. Before leaving, I heard about Disney's Give a day/ get a day at Disney campaign and we decided to try it out. For two hours (almost) of volunteer work, Eric , Avery and I all got our tickets for free.

Long before the crack of dawn on Saturday morning we headed down I-75...I was a little nervous about how the kids would do on the over 18 hour trip but we all had such a great time getting to our vacation! The kids woke up and stayed up from 5am until we made them turn their movies off a little after 8pm. They got surprise packages as we entered each state and I found some great car activities on-line and borrowed a few DVDs from the library all to pass the time.

Our week long trip went by really quickly. Some of the highlights were our day at Disney (as chilly as it was), where we were able to get into my favorite character restaurant at the last minute, after trying unsuccessfully to get reservations for weeks. This year both of the kids loved the rides. No one was scared to get on "Pirates" or Peter Pan. I also loved watching manatees in their natural habitat, spending the winter months in warm Florida springs. The kids swam a few times...mostly with my dad who seemed to notice the cold air as much as the kids did. We ate at some of our favorite restaurants (which happen to not be in Michigan and my waistline is thankful!)and spent some timejust hanging out around town while my dad and Eric golfed. The last few years that I didn't get a little sunshine break, I really missed it and was so glad to get back there...I have to admit that I was not ready to come back to Michigan.

No comments: