Saturday, March 12, 2011

Learning About Me

I always assumed I am a person without the patience or courage, for lack of a more appropriate word, to work with disabled children. I have always felt a fear of not being able to communicate with a person with disabilities, of asking too much or too little and embarassing them, myself and offending those around us. However, my first subbing assignment ever was with a special ed class and as I got more comfortable, I found that these student are so much fun to be around. Some were mainly behavioral issues, and try as I might, I haven't found how to connect with them. I think a lasting relationship might be a big piece of that puzzle.
This week I was in my first POHI class. Had I known that was what I was assigned, I wouldn't have taken the job and as I walked into the room, I was literally sick with nerves. Wonders never cease....I loved it in this classroom. The group I worked with all had physical and mental disabilities and I have never met a class that was more kind, hard-working, and understanding. These kids were all ten and under. They helped each other, they helped me to understand what others were trying to communicate to me, and they taught me not to let me own misgivings stop me from trying new things. This group of nine kids, even little Devon who tried to spit at me several times through our day, followed very promptly by a difficult to understand, "I am sorry."have me very much considering looking into being a parapro for POHI. I won't get rich doing it but I might finally have a job that I can say I love...how is that for rich???

1 comment:

Laura said...

Awesome!I bet you can learn so much from those children :)