Friday, December 11, 2009

Evolving Tradition

One of our Christmas traditions, like most families, is to decorate our Christmas tree. Over the years that we have been a family, decorating has gone from a quiet evening activity with Christmas music and hot cocoa to a chaotic activity with babies trying to get to ornaments before mom anddad can place them up really high on the tree, to this year when Avery and Reagan did a majority of the decorating themselves. Eric and I were both there for the expereince but they wanted to do it without help and that was pretty much the case.
As I was admiring their finished product I thought back to the years when all breakable ornaments, then eventually ALL ornaments were placed high out of reach of toddler hands...and last year, out of reach of puppy's mouth. These little traditions are not only fun but they serve as a way to look back at how far you have come and how fast your family changes.

1 comment:

Lorene said...

Kinda makes me want to cry. Same is true in our house. The kids did the majority of it while Jay and I looked on. I am in charge of taking them out and handing the not-so-fragile ones for the kids to hang and the break-and-cry ones to Daddy. We "used" to make a night of it with a bottle of wine and some Christmas music and now its chaotic, but I wouldn't change it for the world. One day our kids will be grown and gone and if we're not in a wheelchair, we'll be decorating quietly with a few bottles of wine and wishing to have the chaos again. :) MERRY CHRISTMAS!