Yesterday was a milestone day in the life of Marty Peters. A day that we, as his family, didn't expect to ever see. My grandpa finally called it quits after 63 years, five months and twenty some days of working for UPS. He is the longest tenured employee to ever be with the company, even outlasting the company's founder by almost 4 years. My grandpa is the epitome of a hard worker. My mom tells me that when she and her siblings were young, my grandma would call grandpa at work when she couldn't handle the colicy babies and he would come home and quiet the kids. When I was small, there were a few times that my parents both had to work and were in a bind for a sitter. I can remember my grandpa watching us. At the time, I didn't know that he had worked a full shift from pre-dawn and was with us into the evening before rising to do it again long before the sun. In the past few days I have read wonderful and inspirational things about my grandpa and I have heard speeches given from the heart. Coworkers standing in short lines for a chance to have a picture taken with Marty Peters on his last day of work. Grandpa is a legend with his coworkers and bosses at UPS and with good reason. I am not sure that his level of stamina, ethics and integrity has survived to our generation, although I hope that some of it is in the genes and me and my children have it in us to give that level of devotion to the things we find most important in life. Congratulations to grandpa!!!
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Google My Grandpa
Yesterday was a milestone day in the life of Marty Peters. A day that we, as his family, didn't expect to ever see. My grandpa finally called it quits after 63 years, five months and twenty some days of working for UPS. He is the longest tenured employee to ever be with the company, even outlasting the company's founder by almost 4 years. My grandpa is the epitome of a hard worker. My mom tells me that when she and her siblings were young, my grandma would call grandpa at work when she couldn't handle the colicy babies and he would come home and quiet the kids. When I was small, there were a few times that my parents both had to work and were in a bind for a sitter. I can remember my grandpa watching us. At the time, I didn't know that he had worked a full shift from pre-dawn and was with us into the evening before rising to do it again long before the sun. In the past few days I have read wonderful and inspirational things about my grandpa and I have heard speeches given from the heart. Coworkers standing in short lines for a chance to have a picture taken with Marty Peters on his last day of work. Grandpa is a legend with his coworkers and bosses at UPS and with good reason. I am not sure that his level of stamina, ethics and integrity has survived to our generation, although I hope that some of it is in the genes and me and my children have it in us to give that level of devotion to the things we find most important in life. Congratulations to grandpa!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congratulations to Grandpa Peters!!!!! He is famous, and he should be!
I am so proud for you all. I have tears in my eyes.
Post a Comment